Monday, September 26, 2011

Chef Sonia strikes again

Even though I cook dinner almost every night, I still have not grown to enjoy it.  I do it because I made a deal with myself: as a stay-at-home-mom, I would attempt to get dinner on the table at least 4 nights a week.  That doesn't sound too hard to a person who A) likes to cook, and B) does not have a small child.  But to me, that task was pretty tough.  I had to force myself to plan out the week's meals and learn how to grocery shop effectively.  After 2 years, I am getting better, but it is still a struggle.

I don't know why I'm like this....  While I was growing up, my mother cooked every night of the week, even after she went back to work when I was 11 years old.  I have vague memories of helping her occasionally, but I think for the most part, I had no interest in kitchen antics unless they involved baking yummy desserts.

Despite having me as a mother, The Great Sosini is really taking after her father and loving to cook! It has been really fun over the last few weeks, having my little sous chef "assisting" me in the kitchen.  The other day, I gave her a piece of onion to "chop", and she had a blast.  Hilariously enough, while she was "chopping" onions, she rummaged around in a drawer and brought out a chopstick.  Huh.



Then, the chef got hungry and requested a banana to munch.


I have been teaching Sonia how to crack eggs....  She's getting pretty good!  I let her help me crack a few the other day when I was making my favorite dinner, Eggs in Tomatoes.  She also helped me put the corn in the tomatoes and sprinkle the parmesan on top.  I captured a bit of it on video:



I'm sure there will be more Chef Sonia updates in the future....  This child loves to cook!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love watching her tongue work as she beats the eggs! I wish I'd started you out young....maybe you would have enjoyed cooking more.

Grandma JoJo

JLo said...

Cracking eggs is still Catie's favorite thing to do in the kitchen!