Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Potty training update

WARNING: This post contains a few potty-training details!

So, I don't want to jinx anything, but potty training is going really, really well!  The Great Sosini hasn't had a #1 accident in several days (actually, in 6 days if you don't count the one she had when she had her friend, Ike, over to play-- it's really hard for little kids to focus on bladder control when they're having so much fun!).  She's also doing great with #2-- just one or two accidents in the past week. 


Just like "they" say-- one day, something just clicked in her brain, and she's suddenly doing great.  The first week and a half were touch and go-- one day, I'd feel good about her progress, and the next day, I'd be ready to call it quits.  But once I gave myself permission to quit and put Sonia back in diapers, she suddenly started asking to go to the potty.  And now, the last week has been awesome.  She still doesn't necessarily tell me that she has to go potty, but I don't mind watching the clock (and her tell-tale body language) and reminding her to go.  I think I'll start pushing the "tell Mommy when you have to go pee-pee" issue in another week or two.  


For now, it's still making me giggle when I pick Sosini up and put my hand under her bottom-- I'm not used to feeling her little underwear-wearing booty without a diaper covering it!


I am really liking this travel potty that I bought Sosi at BuyBuyBaby....  We use it at the park and any other situations when there aren't any potties nearby.  It's really handy (she can carry it while we walk, and I should get a picture of that because it looks hilariously like she's carrying a briefcase on her way to an important meeting), and she seems to enjoy using it.

I also love this little frog potty that Sosini uses about half the time when we are home:


Even with a stool, she can't quite climb onto the toilet herself, and she enjoys being a bit more independent and sitting on the little one.  I still want her to use the big potty, though (there's no clean-up afterward!!), so she switches back and forth between the two.  When she uses the big toilet, she uses a potty topper like this:
Even though it grosses me out, I have to hold her, seated precariously on an adult-sized toilet, when she needs to pee in public restrooms.  She suddenly stopped liking this folding travel potty topper (which I would prefer her to use), probably because it kind of slides around:
As you can tell, I'm a big fan of trying out the latest and greatest baby gear!

Anyway, 2 1/2 weeks into the potty training process, Sonia and I are feeling pretty good about things.  She loves her Thomas, Cars, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Nemo underwear, and I love the feeling of making it through the day with only using 2 diapers (one for naptime and one for nighttime).  Thank you to all the people (especially Mrs. Morgan-- you gave me a kick in the butt when I needed it) who have given me potty training tips, advice, and support-- I am so grateful to be able to call on a vast network of parents when I need help.  And boy, did I need help.  Sonia is doing great, and Andrew & I are so proud of her!

No comments: